Sunday, September 12, 2010

Installing Flash Player on Google Chrome without Admin Rights

The New  Google 
 Chrome browser.
Everyone hates the administrator. FACT. They block the best sites, and stop you from installing loads of ace stuff on your boring old work computer.
So when I installed the brand new Google Chrome on my work PC (for some reason I can, although loads of other executable files are disallowed) I, a humble internet user, went straight to Youtube to test out loading times etc.
However, Flash needs to be upgraded, and I get a nasty little message telling me I need the latest player.
When I download the file in the link, I get a similarly nasty warning from my PC that I am not allowed to install ‘executables’ like flash player. So no Youtube, no A.viary applications, or anything remotely flash related (seemingly 84% of all online content…)
Here’s how you get round that. Cue evil laugh.
1. Download this xpi file.
2. Then rename it to .zip. It’s a special archive file of only the plug-in bit of the flash player app from adobe that interacts with your browser.
3. Extract it with Winzip to a place you’ll remember. (I did it to My docs but it can go anywhere.)
4. Grab the flashplayer.xpt and NPSWF32.dll files. Copy them (Right click, copy)
5. Head to C/Documents and settings/”YOUR USER NAME”/Local Settings/Application Data/Google/Chrome/Application/Plugins/ and copy your files in there.
6. Close and restart Chrome
7. Go to Youtube and try it out.
8. I also put the files in this location to cover my bases but I think its unnecessary:
C/Documents and settings/”YOUR USER NAME”/Local Settings/Application Data/Google/Chrome/Application/”File with a load of numbers instead of a title”/Resources/
You’re welcome Internet. After all you’ve done for me.
PS: LOL you got rickrolled

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Pages